Bob Dirkes is the Director, Account Services, for Tech Image, Chicago’s leading high-tech public relations firm. His primary mission is ensuring clients see their business and marketing goals and objectives translated into public relations results. As the lead executive of the firm’s account service team, Dirkes plays a range of roles in relationship, program and revenue management across the Tech Image client base.
He is the firm’s primary Communications Coach, having conducted customized sessions in message strategy, integration and implementation for several hundred executives and managers during the last decade. In 2007, journalists from technology trade publications responding to PRSourceCode’s annual “Top Tech Communicators” survey cited Dirkes as one PR practitioner who “makes their life easier.”
Since joining Tech Image in 2000, Dirkes has accumulated experience designing and implementing a diverse array of campaigns. His clients have included: software companies specializing in analytics, customer relationship management, data integration, identity access, security and supply-chain optimization; IT consulting organizations concentrating on business intelligence, contact centers, technical support, enterprise systems and Web services solutions; and, insurance and financial services firms focusing on technology products or markets. Notable clients on his list in the past 10 years are Cisco, CompTIA, ConocoPhillips and Sprint. He has helped multiple clients achieve their goal of being acquired by prominent companies such as IBM, Oracle and Fujitsu Consulting.
Before coming to Tech Image, Dirkes was a Marketing Consultant to small technology companies, technology-focused advertising firms and entrepreneurs. In the corporate arena, he was a Product Marketing Manager for start-up Isix software, the Director of Public Relations for luxury chain Preferred Hotels & Resorts, and the Director of Corporate Communications for global travel company BTI Americas – a subsidiary of EDS. He also has worked as a Sports Reporter, Syndicated Radio Writer and Producer of more than 20 corporate videos. In his spare time, he enjoys games of strategy such as chess and is a novelist in training.
Dirkes holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism. An Academic All-American and Honorable Mention All-American NCAA football player and winner of the 1987 Big Ten Medal of Honor, he lives with his wife and two children in Wheeling, Illinois, and strives to restrict reliving past glories to cheering for his alma mater 12 Saturdays every fall.
In addition to dozens of messaging consulting & coaching sessions for several hundred executives and managers in the last 10 years, Dirkes has spoken at these events:
- Illinois Technology Association Sales Roundtable (4.2010): Comprehensive Message Integration
- Illinois Technology Association Marketing Roundtable (11.2009): Comprehensive Message Integration
- Breakaway 2009 (8.2009): PR/Marketing Communications for SMB VARs -- "Speed Date Your Way to a Better Business"
- CompTIA Channel Summit, Miami (10.2008): Focus Group Facilitator for SMB VARs
- Breakaway 2008 (8.2008): Focus Group Facilitator for SMB VARs
- CompTIA Channel Summit, San Diego(5.2008): Focus Group Facilitator for SMB VARs
- CompTIA Channel Summit, Montreal(2.2008): Focus Group Facilitator for SMB VARs
- Publicity Club of Chicago(2.2007): Panel Discussion on PR Trends & Niches
- Society for Information Managment Regional Conference (3.2006): Interview Survival Kit for CIOs
Check out Bob Dirkes’ podcasts on this page: